Age Minimum (with Adult): 16+, Minimum Age:16+
Summer Art Academy 2018 KMA
Summer Art Academy is a weekly art camp at the Knoxville Museum of Art for kids age 3 and up!
Each week has a different themed art class with new and exciting age-appropriate activities. You’ll learn fun art techniques and projects as you work with the kids!
Volunteers act as Teacher Assistants; helping with preparations for the day, overseeing the kids during activities and break time, helping cleanup at the end of class, and preparing for the Art Show at the end of each week.
Volunteers are asked to sign up for a full week of classes, Monday-Friday. This helps the kids be more comfortable throughout the week and have a better time learning.
To volunteer, please pick a week or two to volunteer and contact DeLena Feliciano at email@example.com to arrange an interview.
Volunteers are asked to complete a KMA Volunteer Application and go through a short interview process.
AVAILABLE WEEKS for Morning Classes 9am-12pm (Monday-Friday):
June 4-8 - ART 101 - Explore and build on a wide variety of media, techniques, and creative thinking.
June 11-15 - COMIC CREATIONS – Learn about storytelling, character creation, action panels, and Manga!
June 18-22 - ART LAB – Be inspired by recyclable materials to create art, collage, and sculpture.
June 25-29 - EXPLORING THE GREATS - Studying great artists like Mondrian, Chagall, Picasso, and Van Gogh.
July 9-13 - STROKES OF GENIUS - Learning different techniques and styles inspired by the exhibition Scenic Impressions on display at the KMA!
July 16-20 - WROLD TRAVELERS - Discover rich cultures and histories through art around the world.
July 23-27 - FULL STEAM AHEAD - Exploring the world around you through art!
July 30 - August 3 - MOSAIC MANIA - Making mosaics using a variety of media and creative techniques.
Afternoon volunteer shifts are available on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 1-4pm for two-week long clay classes.
AVAILABLE WEEKS for Afternoon Classes 1-4pm (Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday - only):
June 11-22 – CLAY ADVENTURES 1 – Students will learn creative hand building and wheel construction techniques.
July 9-20 – CLAY ADVENTURES 2 – Students explore form, texture, and color while designing and constructing their own ceramic pieces.
- Volunteers must commit to a full week of classes.
- Arrive 15 minutes before classes start.
- Be age 16 and older.
- Be comfortable being responsible for young children age 3-12, helping them during projects and breaks and snack time.
- Follow the instructions of the Teacher and be a helpful assistant.
- Help prepare materials for the day and clean up at the end of class.
- Help keep kids together during guided tours through the museum.
- Volunteers are asked to stay with their assigned class the whole time, not use cell phones or headphones during their volunteer time, and to not post pictures of the children on social media.
- Dress Code: Comfortable shoes and clothing, please no tank tops or writing on clothing. Remember you will be working with kids and art supplies!
For more information about Summer Art Academy or the Knoxville Museum of Art please visit www.knoxart.org .
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: