Who is Elligible?
- Any individual whose volunteer activities in Tennessee benefit the community or the State of Tennessee in a substantial, important, or unique way.
- Students receiving course credits are eligible, only if the volunteer service extends beyond course requirements. This must be clearly indicated in the nomination letter.
- National Service program participants (AmeriCorps, AmeriCorps*VISTA, RSVP, Foster Grandparents, Senior Companions, etc.) are encouraged to apply based on their volunteer involvement in their national service assignment.
Who is Not Elligible?
- Individuals involved in “court mandated community service” or those serving as “loaned executives.”
- Persons who receive compensation for service rendered (except National Service participants noted above).
- Volunteers may be nominated by anyone or may nominate themselves.
- The nomination letter should specifically be formatted for the Governor’s Volunteer Star Awards according to the judging criteria listed below. If it is written as a nomination for another award, it will not be given to the judges for consideration of this award.
- In the event that an individual is nominated multiple times, the review panel will consider only the first nomination form submitted.
- Need: Service addressed a specific need in the community (i.e. poverty).
- Action: The nominee was actively involved and took initiative.
- Innovation: The nominee used creative methods to solve community problems.
- Impact: The activity or service produced positive changes and provided an example to others.